Thursday, December 8, 2011

Peace Out

From the very beginning, I have always wanted to study Public Relations. I picked UNT because of the journalism program. From the very first class I took, right up until the last one (4470), I have loved every class. Maybe not every minute of every class, but over all I enjoyed my time here.

These classes have taught me more than just how to write correctly. I have learned how to deal with good and bad teammates, take constructive criticism, network correctly and how to be a professional.

As I get ready to leave the Mayborn School of Journalism, I have taken a look back at some of the most memorable times in my Three years here. I’m starting this blog of in the traditional fashion for the last mandatory blog in my undergrad career, with at Top 10.

Top ten ways to tell you went to the Mayborn School of Journalism

1. You see a grammar tweet and immediately go check paper to make sure you didn’t make the same mistake

2. Sex, sports and alcohol are all ways to keep you interested in ethics

3. Being the mayor of the School of Journalism is an accomplishment

4. Your grade is always better when Kentucky wins

5. #asseenoncampus is a common hashtag

6. Tweeting during class is not frowned upon, it is encouraged

7 . Your papers bleed in green or purple, never red

8. You will never misuse American’s and Americans ever, ever again

9. Writing blogs becomes second nature to you

10. You stress over which shoes to wear to graduation, knowing you will be shoe judged

Bonus:

11. You get excited when you make a new word, and see your blog pop up second on Google

The last three and a half years have been amazing. There have been some ups and downs (but isn’t there always), and I have made friendships that will continue on for years to come. My wow moments from this year and this period in my life are different, but connected.

This semester I went into ethics thinking that I had a base knowledge for the theories, and I did- a base knowledge. I learned that depending on what theories you use ALMOST anything can be right or wrong. That wasn’t my wow moment though. My WOW moment was when Dr. Broyles came in to speak to us.

One of the last things she said was “if you can see subliminal advertising, and point out what it is then it is not subliminal.” That one sentence made the entire lecture click for me.

I never really thought that subliminal advertising was real, but her lecture was in lighting. I love how she showed us the advertisements and let us look at them, trying to find what was “seen.”

One of the biggest “wow” moments of my entire college careers is how much work goes into a news story. Growing up watching the news I never thought about how the anchor got the story.

Going through the Mayborn School of Journalism I now know every step it takes to get a story from start to finish. Press releases, media kits, B-roll, interviews, logging tape, live action shots etc. all take part in making one 30 second video.

I hope that as I go on in life, and have full time job (cross your fingers), these things will always stick out in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment