Thursday, April 14, 2011

fail

This week my inspiration is myself and my embarrassing moments: “How to not get an internship.”

I am graduating from college in December (scary right) and have been painstakingly looking for a summer internship to build experience and networking. After uploading a new resume to the Eagle Network (It’s UNT’s job site) I started applying for internships.

Well, after not hearing anything from the three places that I had applied at I thought that my resume and cover letters were just not cutting it. Then I got an email and phone call from someone saying they had been trying to contact me but my number on my resume was wrong. Let me just tell you that was the most embarrassing moment of my life, and I have had plenty of chances for my cheeks to turn bright red. Luckily, this place still gave me a phone interview, and now I have an in person interview! (cross your fingers for me!)

This embarrassing and somewhat traumatizing moment in my life got me to thinking; I can’t be the only person who has made a simple mistake or error trying to get an internship or job. There just had to be some common errors that people make, and ways to check yourself as to not turn out like me.

1.Check your resume- don’t just create or update it periodically, check it before you send it every time. By reading it over before submitting it you can avoid having mistakes like your phone number, email address or the wrong information for references.

2.Do your homework- before you apply for a job or internship at a company look at their website. What do they focus on as a company? Tweak your resume and create a cover letter focusing on key points for that company it will show you’re interested in working with the environment they already have.

3.Don’t be afraid- If you have class or work when the company wants to interview you tell them. It will not only show them that you are committed to school and have your priorities in order, but that you are not afraid of them. (thanks Professor Bufkins for this tip)

4.Watch your attitude- if you show up confident and excited to be interviewed with a knowledge of the company the hiring manager will notice. If there was a choice between two people, one with great energy and was excited to work, the other one was yawning and looked bored the one with a great attitude would get the job every time.

5.Be prepared- the same thing we have been told for years and years. Guess what? Its true. If you come prepared for the interview with writing samples or your portfolio, answers to questions prepared and a knowledge of how an interview is conducted your interview will be more professional and flow much easier.

So, these five things seem pretty simple, and most of you are probably thinking “ I do all that already”, but do you do all five things consistently? The last thing I thought I would need would be a refresher course in how to write a resume- reality check I did.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, great post! I was an intern some time back and now I am often interviewing and hiring interns myself. Thanks for the advice here, even though these are simple steps, you would be surprised how often people miss these.. and absolutely about the attitude.. I will hire someone with a positive attitude over some one who has an OK attitude even if they appear to have somewhat better skills (within reason of course!). There is a great quote from Gary V - "Skills are cheap, Passion is Priceless!"

    ReplyDelete