Friday, April 29, 2011

Mod-podge

This semester has been a roller coaster ride for me, I have learned so many lessons-some the hard way, and sharpened my skills a little more. I have made friendships with people I know will continue to grow next semester, and after graduation.
One of the most important things that I have learned is to not be afraid. I am probably the least confrontational person ever, and realizing that sometimes confronting people is necessary evil was a hard lesson. When group members slack off or disappear it is not fair to me or them to cover and just do the work for them. It is also not ok for me to hold back in my writing because I am scared it will be awful.

You also have to be assertive in this business (PR). If you want a job, go for it. Networking events are there to help you, and being shy or hanging out with the people you know does not work in your advantage. Asking for a business card and then following through with emailing them after is one of the keys to gaining a job.
Taking every opportunity (good and bad) and trying to use it to the best of your ability is a life lesson that was reaffirmed this semester. I didn’t get an internship that I wanted, but a new door opened and I am excited about this summer. I am also leaving a job that I LOVE and have worked at for 3 years for an opportunity that is a shot in the dark-it could be super successful or crash and burn.

Along with these life lessons this semester has taught me that the basics are what is important. If you can write, talk to people and not be afraid to cold call- the only thing stopping you is yourself. Reading the AP stylebook has been a new found life line, I never really refered to it before.

I also realized that life is not just about school and work. Yes those two things are very important, but taking the time to spend doing things you love, and staying connected with the people you love is a key to being successful in life.
There is a new found love in my life for cooking. Something about it is so peaceful, and I find myself escaping to the kitchen when life gets stressful. My puppy Cooper and boyfriend have also been huge influences in my success this semester.

This past year has been a rough one form me. I have tried to keep my personal life/issues private and not let them influence my work and that is super hard sometimes. I have a few health issues and my father passed away , but I never want to use either one of those things as an excuse, instead they empower me to push longer and stronger than most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment